The purpose of this policy is to outline acceptable places and manner for chalking of sidewalks at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.
This policy applies to all persons who wish to chalk on University sidewalks, including students; registered student organizations; UNCG community members (faculty, staff); and external businesses and individuals.
Individuals and groups using this policy are expected to abide by the University’s five core values of honesty, trust, fairness, respect, and responsibility. Individuals and organizations using this policy must take care not to violate UNCG’s Student Code of Conduct related to 6.E: Responsibility: attempted or actual damage to property. Any markings which require removal may result in disciplinary action. Within that framework, chalking of UNCG sidewalks is allowed with the following restrictions and conditions listed in this policy.
Contractors and companies authorized by Facilities Management to mark for utilities, construction, renovation, excavation, or similar are exempt from this policy.
- Only regular, water-soluble solid chalk is allowed for use. This is most typically labeled “Sidewalk Chalk”. It must be easily removed by rain.
- Spray chalk, marking chalk, spray paint, wax chalk, and/or other permanent, semi-permanent, or “short-term” marking materials are prohibited. Oil-based, aerosol, marker, wax, and paint products are prohibited.
- Only horizontal surfaces, openly exposed to rain, may be chalked.
- No vertical wall or vertical space may be chalked.
- No space, horizontal or vertical, protected from the rain in any way (overhang, tree, porch, indoors, etc.) may be used for chalking.
- No planters, doors, trash receptacles, fountains, steps, benches, tables, bus stops, light posts, trees, signs, poles, or other structures can be used for chalking.
- Sidewalks within 150 feet of the Elliott University Center.
- The west-east sidewalk from the west-facing entrance of the EUC toward the Walker Avenue parking garage, which may be chalked for the entire length of the sidewalk from Stirling Street to the overhang of the EUC.
- The north-south sidewalk from the west-facing entrance of the EUC toward the Walter Clinton Jackson library, which may be chalked for the entire length of the sidewalk from the north overhang of the EUC to the Clock Tower.
- The west-east sidewalk from the east-facing entrance of the EUC toward College Avenue, which may be chalked for the entire length of the sidewalk from the EUC entrance to College Avenue.
- Any sidewalk within 150 feet of a residence hall, including the Quad.
- Areas located within 30 feet of a University-approved bus stop.
- All other locations are prohibited, including all surfaces in parking decks or lots.
3.4Purposes and Messages
- Approved and registered student organizations, recognized by Campus Activities and Programs, may chalk approved University sidewalks.
- Individual students engaged in free expression may chalk approved University sidewalks.
- Individual faculty and staff engaged in free expression may chalk approved University sidewalks.
- Commercial messages and/or advertisements are prohibited.
- Messages from those who are not UNCG faculty, staff, students, or registered student organizations are prohibited.
- Messages which are violent (directed to, or likely to, incite violence), obscene (appeals to the prurient interest in sex and is patently offensive and lacks serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value), or defamatory are prohibited.
- Defacement, change, or removal of existing allowed messages is prohibited, unless approved by the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs.
Concerns about content, placement, and type of messages should be directed to the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, 140 Mossman Administration Building, 336.334.5099.
Violations of this policy will be determined by the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs. The Vice Chancellor, or designee, will determine if the chalking is in violation, and if removal if needed. The Vice Chancellor, or designee, will make the request to Facilities Management for removal.
Violations of this policy will be referred to Campus Activities and Programs for student organizations; to the Dean of Students for individual students; to the Office of the Provost, Faculty Personnel Services for faculty; and to the supervisor and/or Human Resources for staff.
Individuals or organizations who are not a part of UNCG students, faculty, or staff will be referred to the UNCG Police Department. Costs for cleanup may be billed by Facilities Management or the Division of Student Affairs.
This policy should be reviewed every five years, or more frequently as needed.
6.Links to Related University Policies
The policy administrator is the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs.